A hat-trick by Robin van Persie – sold to United from Arsenal last summer – sealed a 3-0 win over Aston Villa at Old Trafford on Monday night to secure a 20th domestic championship for the Red Devils. Tradition has seen champions clapped onto the pitch in the past, with United having done so for Chelsea in 2005 and also Arsenal back in 1991 at Highbury. However, given the animosity from some Gunners supporters to the £24million departure of their former captain to United, where he has gone on to score 28 goals, the issue did throw up concerns. Nevertheless, Press Association Sport understands Arsenal will proceed with the plans to mark United’s achievements. Arsenal are expected to provide new Barclays Premier League champions Manchester United with a guard of honour ahead of Sundays match at Emirates Stadium, Press Association Sport understands. Press Association Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had been reluctant to discuss the issue ahead of their Premier League game at Fulham. He said: “Manchester United have won the title. Do they win it here or somewhere else? It is done. “For us, what is important is to win the next game which is Fulham and then after we deal with Manchester United.” Arsenal are 21 points behind United in third place, but remain in the hunt for Champions League qualification. The Gunners should learn on Tuesday afternoon whether striker Olivier Giroud will be available against United following the club’s appeal over his red card in the 1-0 win at Fulham, which if upheld would mean an automatic three-match suspension.
The trio will leave Upton Park on June 30 on the expiration of their current contracts. “West Ham United would like to thank Joe, George and Jack for their considerable efforts and contribution to the success of the club in recent seasons and wish them well in their future careers,” a statement read on the club’s official website. Goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen and midfielder Matt Taylor are continuing negotiations over new contracts. Cole, a West Ham academy product, was regarded as one of the most gifted players of his generation, but revealed his impending departure last week. He left for Chelsea in 2003 and won three Premier League titles during a spell when he became an England regular but injuries saw him fall down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge. A move to Liverpool in 2010 failed to reignite his career but he enjoyed a successful loan spell with Lille before going back to Upton Park. The 32-year-old returned to his first club on an 18-month deal in January 2013 but played only a bit-part role in the season just concluded. He moves on having not started a game in the Barclays Premier League since scoring in the 3-3 draw with West Brom last December. Press Association West Ham have confirmed the imminent departures of former England midfielder Joe Cole, defender George McCartney and midfielder Jack Collison.
(REUTERS)-Former tennis bad boy Ilie Nastase found himself in deep water on Saturday after being booted out of Romania’s Fed Cup tie against Britain, a day after allegations that he made a derogatory comment about Serena Williams’ unborn child.The 70-year-old former French Open and U.S. Open champion, who is captain of Romania’s Fed Cup team, was sent from his courtside chair after apparently aiming abuse at the umpire, British player Johanna Konta and visiting captain Anne Keothavong during the second singles rubber.World number seven Konta was in tears when play was briefly suspended at the tie in Constanta where she was up against Sorana Cirstea, apparently because of remarks made by Nastase.He was eventually excluded from the tie because of “unsportsmanlike conduct”.Konta recovered her composure to win the last five games for a 6-2 6-3 victory that levelled up the tie at 1-1 after Romania’s number one Simona Halep had beaten Heather Watson.“Mr Nastase was also removed from the grounds due to his serious misconduct,” the ITF said in a second statement.“His accreditation was removed and he will play no further part in the tie.“The ITF has launched an investigation into this matter as well as previous comments made by Mr Nastase during the week.”British captain Keothavong, who said she was made to feel “uncomfortable” by comments made by Nastase at the official pre-match dinner, said the abuse during play had been unacceptable.“We expected a patriotic crowd for the Romanian team but we don’t expect abusive language to be used … what he said directed to both Johanna and myself is… language that is not appropriate for anyone to speak to any other human.”ITF president David Haggerty said an investigation would be launched.“This is unacceptable behaviour by a Fed Cup captain. No player, official, member of the media or fan should have to endure any kind of abuse, and Mr Nastase will rightly play no further part in this tie,” he said.“A formal investigation is already underway and any decision or sanction will be made by the ITF’s Adjudication Panel. We are unable to comment further on an ongoing investigation.”Nastase, whose behaviour on court during his career often landed him trouble and earned him the nickname “Nasty”, began the tie under a cloud after remarks overheard at the official draw ceremony on Friday.He was heard speaking in Romanian to one of his team members about Williams’ baby.“Let’s see what colour it has. Chocolate with milk?” he was quoted by Romanian and some British media as saying.Williams, who confirmed her pregnancy through a spokeswoman on Wednesday, is engaged to Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, who is white.
ST JOHN’S, Antigua – Cricket West Indies (CWI) is set to honour renowned cricket commentator Joseph ‘Reds’ Perreira for his work in broadcasting the game for close to six decades.The upcoming second MyTeam11 Test between West Indies and India – which is co-sponsored by Skoda and Fena – starting on Friday, August 30, at Sabina Park in Jamaica will be ‘Reds’ 150th Test Match that he has attended. It will also be the 250th Test Match that the West Indies have played on home soil.“We would like to congratulate ‘Reds’ for his outstanding commentary over the last 60 years,” said CWI president Ricky Skerritt. “He has been an exemplary broadcaster on both regional and international levels for many years and is deserving of this recognition as one of the most notable voices of West Indies cricket.”Perreira’s first live cricket broadcast took place in 1961 in a first-class match between his native Guyana and long-standing rivals Trinidad & Tobago at Rose Hall. Ten years later, he covered his first Test between West Indies and India at GCC ground, Bourda.Perreira has also worked on 250 One-day Internationals, including attending half of the dozen ICC Cricket World Cups to be staged – 1975, 1979, 1983, 1992, 2003, 2007.“One of the enduring legacies of ‘Reds’ is his tenacity, coming from humble beginnings to rise to the top of broadcasting on the game from the far-flung arenas around the world,” said Skerritt.“He has set an example of professional excellence and determination that should inspire many young broadcasters around the Caribbean to vigorously pursue the highest standards in their craft.”Skerritt added: “I, like many West Indians of a past era, can well remember all hours of the day and night being glued to our radios, which were the only way to follow the game for many years. The game was brought to life, as we listened to ‘Reds’ and the late, great Tony Cozier fly the flag of West Indian excellence in the commentary booths around the world.”A special presentation will be made to Perreira during the tea interval on the third day of the Second Test on Sunday, September 1 at Sabina Park, Jamaica.
THE only unbeaten players left in the second GAICO Construction Grand Prix Chess Swiss System Tournament, Taffin Khan and Loris Nathoo, will battle this afternoon in round five of the seven-round event at the National Racquet Centre on Woolford Avenue.Candidate Master Khan is in dominant form. The former national junior and senior champion sits comfortably on four wins in four clashes and would start the battle as favourite. He has also won three of his last six battles with Nathoo, who has 3.5 points (three wins and a draw) and holds second position. He is also strategic in his approach, which has resulted in a win and two draws in his previous six encounters with Khan.Both players won their fourth round games on Tuesday afternoon. Khan got past Davion Mars, who had won his first three games, while Nathoo got the better of Frankie Farley (two points).Mars and Robert Neto, and CM Ronuel Greenidge and Errol Tiwari, who are set to battle this afternoon, are tied for third on three points each.Meanwhile, Shiv Nandalall and Ethan Lee, who are also scheduled to clash this afternoon, are on 2.5 points each.Twenty-two players are competing in the tournament.
Another blast of winter weather kept Baldiwnsville boys basketball sophomore sensation J.J.Starling from reaching a milestone in front of the home crowd.The Bees’ game against Fayetteville-Manlius, originally set for Dec. 17, was postponed twice in as many days, and now won’t get made up until Feb. 13, which will make it B’ville’s regular-season finale.That left Starling at 963 career points. Had the F-M game taken place, it was likely that Starling would have only needed a few baskets in last Friday’s home game against Nottingham to get to 1,000 for his career. At 994 career points, Starling’s next game is set for Jan. 3 – against none other than reigning state Class AA champion West Genesee, which tips off at 1:30.And this will provide one of the best one-on-one match-ups of the entire season, Starling challenged by Wildcats senior Will Amica, who just poured in a career-high 36 points in a win over Corcoran on Dec. 20.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story As such, given his capabilities, Starling still had an outside chance to get those 37 points, and did all he could as the Bees, improving to 5-2 on the season, won 71-58 over the Bulldogs.A strong first half on both ends left B’ville in front 35-22, and it maintained that margin the rest of the way, leaving the only suspense as to whether Starling would reach 1,000.It almost happened, as Starling’s 31 points left him six points short. He got enough support, too, as Bo Nicholson and Chase Trombley each had 11 points and Dan Fabrizio got eight points. Tags: Baldwinsvilleboys basketball
The USC Schwarzenegger Institute for State and Global Policy opens next Monday with a ceremony that will include the former governor, Sen. John McCain and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, among other politicians, according to the Los Angeles Times.The institute will be housed in the USC Sol Price School of Public Policy and will focus on transcending partisanship in state, social and economic policies throughout the nation and the world.Many students believe that the institute will add an intriguing element to USC and its academics.“It is a really cool and great idea on the school’s part to have major representation at [an] institute based on politics,” freshman neuroscience major Melissa Bonner said.Schwarzenegger will also serve as a professor at USC. He believes that students can learn from Hollywood and apply those lessons to the world of politics.The former governor donated $20 million from his personal funds to create the institute. The expense of this project, however, leads some students to believe that Schwarzenegger has ulterior motives for starting the institute.“If he just gave money for school then it’s OK, but I’m kind of questioning his motives for it,” said Mike Kordbacheh, a graduate student studying international public policy and management. “There’s a bit be more to it and politics might definitely be behind it.”There is also concern that the former governor and his classes will have no academic value in an institute dedicated to politics.“Politics has nothing to do with Hollywood,” Kordbacheh said.“There’s not much politics can learn from Hollywood.”Still, many students expressed curiosity to see the impact the institute will have on USC in the long run.“The institute is beneficial because global policy is important also,” Jordan Caldwell, a sophomore majoring in public relations, said. “We have a school for public policy, so I guess this will be an interesting addition.”
Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott announced Tuesday that the conference will not expand beyond 12 members following speculation it would add Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech.The league’s presidents and chancellors held a vote Tuesday night reaffirming their decision remain a 12-team league“We have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference,” Scott said in a statement. “While we have great respect for all of the institutions that have contacted us, and certain expansion proposals were financially attractive, we have a strong conference structure and culture of equality that we are committed to preserve. With new landmark TV agreements and plans to launch our innovative television networks, we are going to focus solely on these great assets, our strong heritage and the bright future in front of us.”The league announced a 12-year television contract with Fox and ESPN worth approximately $3 billion in May.
The University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team played a solid four quarters away from the Kohl Center Wednesday night to defeat the Minnesota Golden Gophers, earning the team its first victory since Jan. 4. Wisconsin withstood multiple runs from the home team and pulled away in the fourth quarter to secure its double-digit win, 72–62.Women’s Basketball: Badgers scuffle against Georgia Tech, bounce back to beat North Dakota StateThe University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team (6-3) was handed its third loss of the 2019-20 season Thursday, falling to Read…The Badgers (10-9, 2-6 Big Ten) stumbled through the month of January before Wednesday night’s bout with the Gophers, losing four straight and six of seven games before the win — one which can only be labeled an upset given both squads’ recent form. Minnesota (12-7, 2-6) kept the game close until the third quarter but failed to keep up with Wisconsin late.Wisconsin’s win also snapped a 13-game losing streak to the Golden Gophers and a 15-game losing streak in conference road games, as forward Imani Lewis led the team to victory with a 23 point, 16 rebound double-double performance.Wisconsin shot over 75% from the free-throw line and outrebounded Minnesota 41–36 for the game. The first quarter was marked by efficient paint production and transition defense, putting the Badgers ahead 20–14 after the first ten minutes of play.Despite the early success, Minnesota took the lead in the second quarter with solid three-point shooting. The Gophers knocked down seven threes to the Badgers’ two, and used the disparity to close the gap early on. Wisconsin also allowed 19 offensive rebounds, creating second shot opportunities for Minnesota, which led 37–34 at the break.Women’s Basketball: Faltering Badgers look to snap four game losing streak vs. GophersAfter an impressive 8-3 start, the Wisconsin women’s basketball team (9-9, 1-6 Big Ten) has struggled to continue their success Read…Halftime adjustments proved to be the turning point of Wednesday’s game in Minneapolis, especially on the defensive end. The Badgers conceded only eight points in the third quarter, going on a 12–2 run late in the period to put the game away. Despite poor shooting from deep, Wisconsin was relatively efficient in the paint, as Abby Laszewski and Imani Lewis iced the game down low.The upset victory will hopefully create a spark for the Badgers as they continue to trudge through the Big Ten slate. With the conference tournament just over a month away, the pressure to find a consistent rhythm is mounting. While the NCAA Tournament is certainly a stretch proposition, success this season ought to be measured by the quality of play as the season enters crunch time.The Badgers will return home to face Nebraska Saturday. Tip-off is at 11 a.m.
The Kerry Under-21s will play host to their Cork counter-parts tonight at Austin Stack Park, where throw-in is at half-past seven.The winners will advance to an All Ireland semi-final against Monaghan, who last night dethroned reigning champions Tyrone in their Ulster final.