MUMBAI, India (AP):South Africa avoided another bowling nightmare to revive their World Twenty20 campaign and beat inexperienced Afghanistan by 37 runs in the Group One match yesterday.Chasing South Africa’s daunting 209-5, opener Mohammad Shahzad smashed 44 off just 19 balls before medium-fast Chris Morris grabbed 4-27 to dismiss Afghanistan for 172 in 20 overs.”We need to be a lot better, it’s as simple as that,” said South Africa captain Faf du Plessis, who won the toss and chose to bat. “It’s a big challenge for the bowlers … I guess we are a bit soft in our execution which we need to improve on.”AB de Villiers had earlier capitalised on two dropped catches to hit 64 off 29 balls. Left-handed opener Quinton de Kock made 45 and du Plessis contributed 41.South Africa lost the first match against England, which chased down a WT20 record 230-8 at the same venue on Friday to win by two wickets. It was Afghanistan’s second loss in succession after they were beaten by defending champions Sri Lanka at Kolkata.Shahzad followed the England-style run rampage when he smashed five sixes and three fours in the first three overs from fast bowlers Kagiso Rabada and Kyle Abbott as South Africa rested their front-line fast bowler Dale Steyn and included David Wiese, who went for 0-47.Morris cut short the cricketing carnage and knocked back the middle stump of Shahzad, before following it up with the wicket of captain Asghar Stanikzai. He returned to clean- bowl Rashid Khan and Dawlat Zadran in his last over.The South African pace proved too much for Afghanistan’s middle-order batsmen as they kept losing wickets, with wicketkeeper de Kock holding on to four catches and also stumping Noor Ali Zadran.”This experience will be good for us,” Stanikzai said. “Shahzad started well but, unfortunately, we gave some quick wickets and that’s why we lost the match.”Earlier, de Kock and du Plessis set the pace of the South Africa innings by adding 65 off 42 balls after Hashim Amla was dismissed in the third over.Afghanistan came back briefly when du Plessis was run out in the 10th over and two overs later de Kock was caught behind.
Food for the Poor (Guyana) and the World University of Service of Canada Caribbean (WUSC Caribbean) have signed a memorandum of understanding to address and secure more lasting sustainable solutions for issues facing poor farmers in Guyana.Signed on December 4, the agreement looks at the specific areas of cooperation between WUSC Caribbean and FFP as lie within their mandates and involve supporting the contribution and distribution of seeds, simple tools and equipment to farmers, agro-processing, and farming groups and learning institutions.In addition, the agreement seeks to promote the adaptation of climate smart agricultural practices through establishment of shade houses, while supporting small-scale farmers to pursue crop diversification and adopt new technologies to boost efficiency and productivity.Chief Executive Officer of FFP, Kent Vincent, and Deputy Project Director of WUSC Caribbean, Munish Persaud (centre), with other executives of FFP and WUSCFinally, the agreement is geared at supporting agro-processing and farming groups by the establishment/upgrading of agro-processing centres.Deputy Project Director of WUSC Caribbean, Munish Persaud, and Chief Executive Officer of FFP, Kent Vincent, inked the agreement.Persaud has said the WUSC Caribbean is pleased to have signed the partnership, which provides a great opportunity for both entities to utilize their resources to get more lasting, sustainable solutions for the issues facing poor farmers in Guyana.Meanwhile, CEO of the FFP, Vincent, indicated the pleasure of FTP to be signing with another entity that promotes agricultural initiatives.
– 4 years after son’s disappearanceA devastated mother, whose now 32-year-old son went missing four years ago, is still looking for answers about her son’s disappearance.Troy Greenidge, a miner of Lot 8 John Fernandes Housing Scheme, Greater Georgetown, went missing on October 15, 2014, after he left home to collect his salary from his employer in Diamond.It was four years ago, Greenidge of John Fernandes Housing Scheme at Industrial Site, Ruimveldt, Georgetown, was last seen and his mother Seeta Persaud is still seeking answers regarding his disappearance.The grieving woman visited <<<
Children’s death at GPHCBy Samuel SukhnandanThe family of Sharezer Mendonca, the third child to have died after receiving pre-chemotherapy treatment at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) in January, claimed that they were offered a compensation from a senior hospital official to bury the matter.Six-year-oldSharezer MendoncaThe aunt of the six-year-old child, Sherry Ann Mendonca, said that the family has also been kept in the dark, which leads them to believe that the investigation may not be as independent as it should be. Mendonca feels that top officials at the hospital may be trying to cover up the alleged wrongdoings.“Right now, what they are trying to do, is to have us take compensation for the issue and that obviously means sweeping it under the rugs afterwards,” she told Guyana Times, explaining that the family is not looking for any financial compensation, rather, they want to know what really led to Sharezer’s demise.CompensationAsked what type of compensation was offered, Mendonca said, “At first they were telling us they will pay for the funeral and when the swapping of the bodies happened, and they realised that things went wrong and they telling us any amount… any amount we can call it.”The girl’s aunt was referring to January 25, when Sharezer’s body was given to the wrong family, resulting in an unauthorised autopsy. Eventually, the family discovered the body, which was on its way to Parika, being transported by a family from Bartica in place of another deceased young girl.It was related that when the body was returned to the family, she was identified as young Mendonca. But to make matters worse, there were visible incisions made on her body which indicated that an autopsy had been performed. The family claimed that the preliminary autopsy found that she died as a result of heart failure and not from leukaemia, the disease she was being treated for.The family is currently seeking legal advice and said that there seems to be a lack of professionalism and due diligence at the GPHC. The family’s legal team has also requested that the hospital make the young girl’s medical records available but they were told that it will be provided after the investigation.As for the investigation, Mendonca told this newspaper that they were told that the investigation would have wrapped up on Saturday, but when they inquired, they were informed that it is still in process. The family said that they have spoken to the people carrying out the investigation. She said they questioned their knowledge of the situation and asked them to explain what may have gone wrong.“We did notice that during the interview they were baffled by certain things that were already out there like the swapping of the bodies. They acted as though it was not out…,” she stated, explaining that despite several checks with the medical authority and the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO), they have not updated them on what is taking place with the investigation.The family has also moved to hire a private pathologist and lawyer, but both of these individuals hit an impasse because they were told that all documents and information regarding the case will only be provided upon completion of the investigation being carried out.Mendonca confirmed that the family was interviewed by the authorities, but claimed that based on the line of questioning, they are not confident that it will produce the facts.“We met with the persons, but if you are doing an investigation you’ll try as much as possible to get enough information before they begin. It shows that it is bias at the moment. It’s like they are actually trying to see how much you (we) know, and how much they can actually clear them self of.”InvestigationMeanwhile, GPHC Public Relations Officer Mitzi Campbell told Guyana Times that she is not sure that the investigation is complete because officials at the hospital who are part of the investigative team are meeting with other families. She also denied that the family is being kept in the dark.“I don’t think they are being kept in the dark. They were invited here. They had a discussion with the team and at the end of it all, it’s when the committee will complete its final report,” she explained, adding that she is not certain that there is a timeframe in which the investigation should wrap up.Public Health Minister, Dr Karen Cummings had told this publication that the investigation into the deaths of six-year-old Sharezer Mendonca, three-year-old Roshani Seegobin and Curwayne Edwards is progressing well and would have been concluded last week.Sharezer was taken to the Paediatric Ward on January 3, where she was administered with an injection before undergoing treatment for leukaemia. However, shortly after, she became unresponsive. She was later transferred to the Intensive Care Unit, where she subsequently died.
DISCLAIMER: Fakebook is a spoof social network – it is about as genuine as a Steven Gerrard title winner’s medalIt’s been a while, but talkSPORT is back on Fakebook and this time we’re taking a look at the profile of Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal.The Dutchman has had a roller coaster ride to life as Red Devils boss, failing to win any of his first three Premier League games, losing 4-0 to MK Dons in the Capital One Cup, while signing incredible talents like Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao.So it’s no surprise his Fakebook profile is an entertaining read, featuring comments from the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson, Ed Woodward and the United legend that is David Moyes (check out his Fakebook Look Back Movie, below).
ST EUNAN’S GAA seniors will celebrate their county final success tonight at 8.30pm at O’Donnell Park.But the celebrations will be short and sweet – they play Crossmaglen Rangers in the Ulster club championship next Sunday.Fans are asked to arrive at O’Donnell Park and take seats in the main stand by 8.20pm. ST EUNAN’S PLAN SHORTEST HOMECOMING EVER – SO THEY CAN GET READY FOR CROSSMAGLEN was last modified: November 4th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Donegal manager Jim McGuinness has asked people to move on from the Kevin Cassidy row – and look forward to the future.Speaking to the BBC, Jim was asked about his decision to drop the All Star from the county panel during the Ulster GAA writers awards in Bundoran this weekend.“I don’t have a lot to say on it,” said Jim who is understood to be surprised at the continuing controversy. “It has been a difficult period. We’ve had ups and downs during the year and it’s not an issue to dwell on. It has been dealt with now and we have to move on from here. There has been a lot said, but we have to move forward,” he added.Asked about the county side in general, the manager said: “We got a lot of criticism during the year but people should understand that we are not Kerry or Cork.He said the Belfast newspaper the Irish News – owners of the free adsheet Letterkenny Post and Donegal Post – had written off Donegal and put the county in 19th place in a ranking system.“We have come a long way,” said McGuinness. © 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/news_more_details/11-09-02/Appointment_of_Joint_Receivers_and_Managers_River_Newspapers_Letterkenny_Limited.aspxFollow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2009/6/River-Newspapers-NI-Ltd/TF_ADJ_46380.aspx http://www.derryjournal.com/news/local/rivermedia_in_oceangate_probe_1_2120821CASSIDY ROW: TIME TO MOVE ON, SAYS MANAGER JIM was last modified: November 20th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:awardsdDonegal GAAdownmarket free adsheet letterkenny postJim McGuinnessKevin Cassidy
Murphy and McFadden in Ballybofey against Kerry. They’ll be back there for Tyrone in May www.donegaldaily.comTHE Donegal County Board has scored a significant victory tonight – Donegal WILL begin the defence of their Ulster title against Tyrone in BALLYBOFEY!The move was ratified by the Ulster council after repair work at MacCumhaill Park upgraded the stadium to meet GAA requirements.Tyrone had hoped the first round Championship match would be switched to Clones, with Jim McGuinness, his players and the county board insisting that Donegal should not have to give up home advantage. A county board spokesman said: “Donegal are delighted to confirm that we will retain home advantage for the first round match against Tyrone in May.”The date for the game is May 26th.Fans too have welcomed the decision.Donegal Daily GAA blogger Cathal MacSuibhne said: “It was the right decision for everyone and for fair play. “In the Ulster championship when you get home advantage that’s the luck of the draw and home advantage belongs to Donegal.“It would have been unfair to have been forced to go to Clones.”Meanwhile Donegal’s U-21 side, who beat Tyrone in the last round, will play Derry in the semi-final in Omagh on Wednesday, April 3. VICTORY! DONEGAL TO DEFEND ULSTER TITLE AGAINST TYRONE IN BALLYBOFEY was last modified: March 27th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:VICTORY! DONEGAL TO DEFEND ULSTER TITLE AGAINST TYRONE IN BALLYBOFEY
Shaid Shafi, an India-born Republican facing removal as Texas county leader for “being a Muslim”, will remain in office as his party officials slapped down a motion to oust him from the post of vice-chairman.The Tarrant County Republican Party rejected the motion to strip Mr Shafi, a trauma surgeon and member of the Southlake City Council, at a contentious meeting on Thursday.Read it at NDTV Related Items
Photo from NikeDon’t tell me it’s only a pair of shoes.It has never been as such since it burst on the scene 23 years ago.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Columbian Dyip hope to get major boost from future top pick CJ Perez SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Read Next Jordan will always be remembered as the greatest ever. A hands down winner with a perfect record in the NBA Finals and the man at front and center of the Chicago Bulls dynasty in the 90s.But “His Airness” won’t reach rarefied air without enduring a fair share of failures and it was in the Concord 11 in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against the up-and-coming Orlando Magic where he was in one of his most vulnerable state.With the Bulls up by one less than 20 seconds left, Jordan, who just came out of his first retirement, had the ball stripped away from him from behind by Nick Anderson, who was wearing the Jordan 10 “Orlando” then, that led to the game-winning dunk by the Magic on the other end. Jordan and the Bulls went on to lose the series in six games but that rare moment of defeat would also pave the way for his greatest triumph the following year: A 72-10 regular season record coupled with his fourth championship that setup another three-peat.What made the Concord 11 timeless is its history. Every shoe has a story and the Jordan 11 Concord is about a grandiose comeback from a painful setback.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening LATEST STORIES MOST READ Lacson: 2019 budget delay due to P75-B House ‘insertion’ View comments SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The date was May 1995 when the basketball world laid its eyes on a sneaker it had never seen before.Not only was it fresh, it was also one of its kind. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefIt had a white mesh upper and a black patent leather from the toe box all the way around the heel for a luxurious touch. The soles were icy and who could forget the number “45” on the heel notch.The Air Jordan 11 “Concord” was only a sample pair the legendary Michael Jordan broke out in the grand stage of the NBA Playoffs that eventually turned into one of his most iconic sneakers. I remember owning my first pair of Jordans in 1996 when I was a wide-eyed seven-year-old.My first Jordan sneakers were the Jordan 11 Bred (black and red). Yes, I had the OG and I wish I still had it.Of all the Jordan silhouettes, the 11s hold a special place inside me. That’s why when rumors of a fourth release of the Concords surfaced as early as late last year, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. And when the drop was finally official last April and that it would be a mirror image of the actual pair Jordan had worn, I knew I had to cop and taking an L wasn’t an option especially now that I have enough money to spend on it.Nike reportedly released over a million pairs in full sizing worldwide on December 8. Filipinos got their hands on the Concords at Nike and Titan.The 2018 Concords were my first Jordan 11 pair since 1996 and unboxing it took me back to my childhood, back to that day when I was wearing my white Jordan jersey with the number 45 and boxers as I was opening the box with the bred in it. I was that kid all over again.Months before the Concords released, I told myself it would be my last Jordan pair, but it didn’t take that long for me to fool myself yet again with Nike rumored to release the Breds again next year, six years since it last came out.It’s never been just a pair of shoes. The real ones call it “The Grail.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparc